Saturday, July 4, 2009


Day 28 / Saturday, June 4th / Abilene, KS to Topeka KS / 108 miles

Happy 4th of July

Today was a long 108 mile ride up and down rolling hills, kind of like riding a roller coaster except my legs had to do the work.
The weather was overcast with a good tailwind and temps were in the low 80s. Today was the most humid day we have had so far. I got a kick out of the store on the left with their Mountain Dew sign.

Today is Norbert's birthday, he is 66. I hear they celebrate his birthday every year with fireworks and parades. He is a special guy. A lot of the riders decorated their bikes with flags and streamers for the 4th. Norbert from PA rides with Mary from NY most the time.







To the left is the group I ride with most of the time. That's Bob from Seattle out in front. I have learned from Bob how to take pictures while moving. Sidewards, behind the back, over the shoulder, you name it Bob can do it.

Below are some scenic pictures from the day. You can see from the pictures on the right the rolling terrain we had fun with today.
After the second sag I decided to ride the last 30 miles by myself, with a little help from my music shuffle. Felt like I was in heaven. Finished the day at an 18.5 mph pace. It's a sad 4th, I'm going to miss seeing the fireworks with the family.













































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment