Wednesday, July 8, 2009



Day 32 / Wednesday, July 8th / Chillicothe, MO to Kirksville, MO / 83 miles



Today was another sunny hot day. Started off with a good deluxe breakfast at MacDonald's then went on our way across a section of Missouri called a Thousand Hills. There weren't quite that many, however; I think the real number we climbed was around 230. This was a slow day and despite me wanting to take it easy there was no way out. Check out the picture on the left, that's what we faced for our ride today which started at 7:00 am and finished for me at about 1:45 pm.




That is Gerrard, one of the support leaders and mechanic, leading up the hill. I got a little head start so I could get to the top and take the picture.



If you click on the picture you'll get a better perspective of the steep climb and rolling hills. The trick on these hills is to get as much speed built up on the downhill hoping it will carry you 1/2 to 2/3 up the hill. Then you got to shift down and spin or grind your way to the top. At the top you catch your breath for 2 seconds and do it all over again 229 more times.




My bike and I spent some time in the house to the left. The local sheriff nailed me for rolling through a stop sign. The ticket was for $250. I told him I didn't have any cash on me so he locked me up inside until America by Bike came to release me.

The house I was in was the historic Linn County Jail and the story is a farce.











Why the picture of the sign on the left?


Y it's the greatest number in the world, just ask my son Tim who wore it to play football.

Well since I am in a corny mood, the flowers on the left are for my wife, Donna, son Mike and his wife Fran who are all celebrating their wedding anniversary.

Happy Anniversary !
To bad you weren't with me here in Kirksville. They were advertising a special deal at the Super 8 hotel that would have been a great anniversary gift.


































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment