Sunday, July 26, 2009

Day 50 / Sunday, July 26th / Latham, NY to Brattleboro, VT / 80 miles

The day started at 7:00am with breakfast then load at 7:45am for a nice mountainous ride climbing over 5,000 feet in elevation. It was humid yet relatively cool (upper 70s). After 20+ miles of riding we entered our 12th state on the tour and one of my favorites, Vermont.

I experienced some typical New England fun when I went by this carnival in the town of Bennington and saw the tractor pulling hay ride.





As we went through the downtown section of Bennington the town had statues of mouses at about every corner. Didn't see Bullwinkle though.




After our first climb up a steep 6% grade for 8 miles we had a fun decent into the town of Wilmington. Ate at Jezebels and had the New Englander (ham, cranberry on panini bread) DELICIOUS !

After lunch we had another big 3 mile climb, then the decent into Brattleborrow. It's hard to believe that there are only two days left until we finish our journey across country. It has been an experience of a lifetime and an experience I can cross off my bucket list. People ask me what's next. I'm looking forward to visiting Ireland next year with the family and enjoying the countryside and some golf.


At the end of the day I ran into Sean and Tom at this restaurant overlooking the Connecticut River. Vermont is a beautiful state.





















































































No comments:

Post a Comment